Monday, January 17, 2011

Un Fin de Aventuras

This weekend was one for experiencing the city and doing a little bit of exploring. On Friday I had my first discoteca experience (bar meets club). Actually our entire group of, I think, 23 people all went out together. It's so weird though, everything starts later here, so the discotecas weren't even crowded until like 1:00-2:00 AM, which seemed outrageously late to me. Oh well, being abroad is the best time to create a new sleeping cycle!

On Saturday I actually didn't even leave the apartment. I was going to explore in the afternoon, but Natalia said she didn't want me to leave, so instead I stayed home and played barbies for like 2 hours, and then played "hide-the-silly-bandz" (and yes, that game is only about as much fun as it sounds...) for a good hour or 2. Eek-tradgedy in the household! So, Natalia's birthday was last week, and she got two barbies...well, when we were eating lunch Quito (the pet dog) got hold of Veterinarian Barbie (maybe he was feeling sick, smart dog...he knew to go to the Vet), and completely destroyed Barbie's left hand. I think Natalia screamed and cried at an intensity that would've outdone that of if the same had happened to her own hand...(In this moment I was so glad that I never had a pet growing up. I don't think I could've handled that sort of destruction and come out okay).

My host parents went to a party on Saturday night and took the kids to their grandmother's house. I was making myself dinner in the kitchen when I discovered the following:
Yup, that's an animal leg, hoof and all. I don't know how long it's been there. And oh boy do I hope it leaves soon!

Sunday I went to the evangelical church (yeah, I think there might only be like one Protestant church in Salamanca...that's a weird change of pace) but it was so cool!! The first hour was a Bible study (ish) about the church, and how you to determine if a church is like authentic. (He basically cited all the scripture which refers to false prophets, so I'm not entirely sure what I was to conclude...or even if there was a formal conclusion...) Um the second hour:AMAZING! It was a communion "service", which basically translated to singing the most upbeat songs ever (one of which was "Here I am to Worship" translated to Spanish, what what?!?!?) and then taking communion (no sermon or anything, just singing and communion). And the final hour (we returned at 6:30) was a prayer service. I didn't like that part, but that's only because I had no idea at all what was being said. It was supposed to be prayers for all these countries in Eastern Europe and people from the congregation just would start praying aloud. And boy oh boy they do not pray slowly!

In the break between the services I went to explore with my friends and we found the Roman Bridge:


I don't know what year that was constructed, but I want to say that it was before the year 500. CRAZINESS!! So yep, that was the weekend! (I was a good kid and had all my homework done by Saturday afternoon, which made for a great great Sunday!)

Ok I just have one more picture I want to share from my walk home on Friday after class, because I think it is so darn cute:


 The swan was giving the duck a ride around the pond! SOOOOOOO CUTE!

Well, Happy Monday!!

Con tanto amor!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment