Thursday, January 13, 2011

Our Initial City Tour

So after spending a couple days here and getting to know our families and getting over jetlag (sidenote: I don't think I had jetlag, I think I just am a sleep-a-holic and felt tired the past few days because of that) our program directors took us on a tour of the city. It is absolute mind-boggling for me how old everything here is! The University was founded in the early 1200s. The 'Old Cathedral' was built in the 12th century. (The New Cathedral was built in the 16th century) It's so weird, and so cool to think about the fact that I am at a University and city where Christopher Columbus taught! I absolutely love seeing the architecture and just thinking about how much history this city holds.  Some visual aids:

Monestario de San Esteban

View from the of El Catedral Viejo (the old Cathedral)

Also at the top of El Catedral Viejo

We also went to this super fancy restaurant that invlolved like a 5-course meal, it was ridiculous. I ate shrimp! And we're not talking like nicely presented all ready-to-eat shrimp...we're talking, shrimp still-with-antennae-eyes-and-shell shrimp. But I must say DELICIOUS! (perhaps my issue with shrimp before was that it was never an activity in my past experience)



 Anyhow, time for class! (I have a presentation today about Lazarillo de Tormes (a Spanish novel), so cross your fingers that that went well!)

Amor!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment