Friday, January 14, 2011

My take on their take on American pop culture

Why hello! So before I get to the above mentioned topic, some things that I've noticed (mostly about myself)  a. I dress much better here- I think it's primarily because I'm very self concious about the fact that I only have like 10 shirts or so, so I make sure to wear jewelry and scarves and do my hair etc. to make each look unique. Its also probably because I left all my t-shirts and sweatshirts at home. (sadness) also, b. my dental hygeine is ridiculous here! I brush my teeth like 5-6 times a day (!). why, you ask? Well basically after we eat the kids will often ask me to play wii or something and I say 'sure, but first I want to wash my hands' and then they get all excited and yell, 'and we have to brush our teeth'. And so we do. So basically, I'm going to have the whitest teeth ever by the time I come back.

And now the titled topic of this post. So the first night I was here I went with my family to the Plaza Mayor (there are tons of shops and everything on the way). So they were shopping and I was just looking around and taking in some Salamanca culture. We went into one store and I saw Hannah Montana stickers and High School Musical messenger bags. Which at first I thought was cute, like oh hey, something familiar. But then I realized that when I pass by stores, all I see now to represent US culture includes; Hannah Montana, Dora the Explorer, Spongebob, and the Simpsons. (What a horrible take on the Us...)

They do love American music (which is interesting because they play all these songs in English, but the people don't understand them...like my host siblings really like to sing 'Alejandro' and during the verses they kind of murmur what they think is being said, and it's all jibberish) But I heard Coldplay, Lisa Loeb, Rihanna, Pink. Oh, and this show that was something like American Idol, someone sang Bohemian Rhapsody! Loved it!

  And American cuisine...Jesus tried to convince me that I wanted a hotdog because that's American cuisine. (yeah we haven't had the encased meat conversation yet...I'm trying to hold off until its absolutely necessary) So basically American culture boils down to people who eat hotdogs and enjoy the Simpsons and HSM and Dora the Explorer, and well, I guess they basically got the music right, but it's just so strange. Such an eclectic mix of American pop culture!

Anyhow, I'm quite excited for the weekend! I might go shopping this afternoon, and plan to do some exploring this weekend as well!! I'll post about it Monday (no internet on the weekends...) So hasta Lunes!!

Amor,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment