Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Meeting the Mayor (what?!?!?)

So today we were told to be at the Plaza Mayor at 12:20 cuz there was some signing thing...okay, I thought this was some city-wide event  that we were going to experience. What was it actually? It was actually Wake Forest signing something with the city of Salamanca (I hope someone will inform me of what actually happened today, cuz all I know is there were lots of cameras, and some nice little speeches that I didn't really comprehend). Then the Mayor started telling us about some of the history of Salamanca and they gave us all some presents!  We also got a great view of la Plaza from the balcony. It was a pretty awesome morning!! Pictures:
Our whole group with the Mayor

On the balcony overlooking the Plaza

The actual signing

 Anyhow that's been the day! I found out my class schedule for when we start all our normal classes (we've been in an intensive class for a week and a half now), and great news! I finish at 1:30 everyday! (And 12:00 on Wednesdays!) And no classes on Friday! I don't think it gets more fantastic than that.

 One last quick blurb. About 2 years ago I made a bucket list in one of my journals. I didn't bring it with me, but I read it over again right before I left. One of my things was that I wanted to go to Europe, and one was I wanted to have a conversation with someone who only spoke Spanish. (and there were like 20 other things) But it just kind of hit me today while I was walking to the WF Center, that I'm doing things on my list- I'm getting to live my dreams right now. How cool is that? There are a lot of things that are uncomfortable about being here. The lack of familiarity is really unsettling at times. I spent about 30 minutes wandering around today because I got completely lost. But everytime something happens I've been able to step back and smile and laugh about the differences, and laugh about my mistakes. Because here I am, in a foreign place in a country of strangers, speaking a language that isn't my own, and hey, I'm making it just fine! For being here, I think I'm the luckiest girl in the world, and I am sooo grateful that I get this opportunity.

Con todo el amor de mi corazon,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment