Wednesday, May 11, 2011

3!

3 things I've learned while in Spain (about myself or in general):

1. How to navigate Public transportation systems. I mean, I can still grow in this area- but it's pretty cool for me to be able to walk into a subway and understand what the heck is going on- or to know how to take train to metro to AVE. And under time constraints. (granted we never left me in charge...just in case...but I really am capable now and do not always feel directionally challeneged anymore)--along the same lines, just setting up travel. Figuring out how to budget your time to make sure to leave enough time to get to the bus from your airplane terminal. Sometimes a doozy- but a good skill to have acquired.

2. That having a positive outlook is NOT synonymous with being naive. I came to Spain as a naive individual. I assume the best in all people and situations- and that's wrong. You can't always give people the benefit of the doubt and trust blindly. But that also doesn't mean you have to walk around waiting for bad things to happen. I read a sign here that said "a pessimist is simply an informed optimist". I mean- I don't like the word pessimist, and I think this quote is wrong. Rather it should be "optimist is an informed naivist"- because being optimistic and hoping for the best doesn't mean you have to be clueless. This lesson was a hard one to learn- but worth it.

3. You should never waste time being anything other than yourself. The fact of the matter is, that if people aren't going to like you for who you are, then why would you want them to like you in the first place? I'm someone who cares much too much about how others perceive me, and it took me a long time to realize that I can't be all things to all people. You're not gonna be best friends with all people- so just be yourself and be friends with who you naturally are friends with.

Paz y Amor!

No comments:

Post a Comment